The rise in the number of people suffering from sleep disorders has led to an increased demand for effective remedies for improving the condition. Recent studies have linked sleep disturbance to functional impairment, resulting in fatigue and other health conditions. Experts have suggested using pharmaceutical marijuana, especially in 2021, to treat insomnia and other similar conditions.
If you have a sleeping disorder or you are having a hard time sleeping after a stressful day, this could be the perfect solution for you as its analgesic properties can provide some relief, especially if you have chronic pain.
The medicinal strains of cannabis Indica have muscle relaxation and pain-relieving properties with little or no side effects. With higher concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes, which increases its sedative effects, hitting a joint before going to bed may not be a bad idea. You could also explore other ways of consuming marijuana to improve the ease of falling asleep and breathing, especially for people suffering from sleep apnea.
Quick Look At Our Top 5 Picks for The Best Indica for Sleep
|Image ||Product ||Features || |
- It relieves arthritis, migraines, and widespread pain in your body
- It improves your appetite
- It helps with mental conditions like depression
|View Best Price|
Nighttime Indulgence Strain
- It improves physical and mental health
- Highly sedative effects that help you maintain deep sleep
- For treating PTSD and anxiety disorders to promote calmness
|View Best Price|
- Useful in treating various medical conditions, including seizures and cancer
- It helps with loss of appetite and nausea
- It contains a significant level of THC that proves effective against insomnia
|View Best Price|
- It helps in treating stress and anxiety
- It improves mood for people suffering from depression
- It is highly potent, with a sweet flavor
|View Best Price|
- It relieves all forms of pain, including arthritis, migraines, and backaches
- Uplifts moods and emotions, making it ideal for people with bipolar disorders, depression, and PTSD
- A small quantity can have a significant impact due to the high THC levels
|View Best Price|
While it is essential to relieving stress and anxiety and aiding relaxation and combat sleeplessness, ensuring that you do not exceed, the optimal dose is key to achieving the desired result. Here are the five (5) best Indica strains for sleep and things to consider before using any of them.
Northern Lights is among the most popular strains of marijuana out there. It is a hybrid formed from the Afghani Indica and Thai Sativa cross. Owing to its potency, people look to it to relax tense muscles and enable them to fall asleep with ease.
Northern Lights, which contains only about 18% THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), has been in use worldwide for decades. Although it is not a particularly potent strain, its effects kick-in almost immediately after it is consumed. The buds of this Indica strain are thick, with dark, olive-green leaves that stand out. Each sheet has purple and blue veins, which gives it a unique appearance similar to the aurora seen in the northern hemisphere.
It relieves stress and anxiety by improving moods and ensuring that users stay calm enough to enjoy deep sleep cycles.
- It relieves arthritis, migraines, and widespread pain in your body.
- It improves your appetite.
- It is available in other forms, like candies, concentrates, hashish, resins, and more, for those who would not want to smoke.
- It helps with mental conditions like depression.
- Its adverse side effects are few.
- High doses may worsen stress and anxiety.
- It presents side effects, including cottonmouth and dry eyes.
Nighttime Indulgence Strain: Afghani
Going further along with the indica for sleep list, The Afghani strain is one with significant THC levels responsible for its tranquilizing effects. A small quantity can improve moods, making you feel happy and calm enough to fall asleep. It is highly potent and the main ingredient for producing the famous Afghan Black Hash, commonly used at night.
Northern Lights and Blueberry Indica strains were bred from Afghani, becoming a rare bud to find. Afghani is short and bushy, with broad leaves that are long and dark green in color. Its orange pistils, which can be seen among the buds, give it its distinctive appearance.
Commonly available as the Afghan Black Hash, it helps with insomnia, anxiety disorders, and stress. Its therapeutic properties effectively make people fall asleep quickly without waking up at intervals during the night.
- It improves physical and mental health.
- Highly sedative effects that help you maintain deep sleep.
- For treating PTSD and anxiety disorders to promote calmness.
- Relieves chronic pain, which could be a result of injuries or other health conditions.
- It helps with fatigue, nausea, fibromyalgia, and loss of appetite.
- Side effects are mild and wear-off quickly.
- In high doses, it can cause dry mouth and itchy eyes.
- May cause paranoia, dizziness, and headaches.
Muscle-Relaxing Strain: Purple Kush
Regarding other indica for sleep, the Purple Kush is another Indica strain that contains a considerable amount of THC and is bred from the Afghani and Hindu Kush. It has a characteristic sweet taste and sedative properties that enable users to enjoy good quality sleep. The fact that it also relieves pain is an added advantage.
It helps to relax tense muscles, so it is recommended to use a few hours before sleep to allow its effects to kick in. You should begin to feel its effects almost immediately, with a fuzzy feeling that can last for several hours. The aches and pains that have made it difficult for you to fall asleep quickly disappear, allowing you to unwind fully.
It has buds that sparkle with different colorations, ranging from purple, pink, and red, which appear faint and robust in some areas.
- Useful in treating various medical conditions, including seizures and cancer.
- It helps with loss of appetite and nausea.
- It contains a significant level of THC that proves effective against insomnia.
- Ideal for people that are suffering from depression, anxiety, and stress.
- Little side effects.
- It causes dry mouth when consumed in large quantities.
Mood-Boosting Strain: G13
It is believed that a government agency initially developed G13 in the U.S. with help from the University of Mississippi researchers. This unique strain has a sweet pine flavor that makes it stand out.
When consumed, users’ mood improves almost immediately as they begin to feel happier and more relaxed. It is known to relieve stress and anxiety, allowing users to fall asleep easily with a feeling of lightheadedness.
This highly potent strain energizes and then relaxes as you soon reach a euphoric state. It improves the ease of falling asleep, and small quantities can produce the desired results.
- It helps in treating stress and anxiety.
- It improves the mood of people suffering from depression.
- It can be used as an analgesic for treating chronic pain in muscles and joints, as well as migraines.
- It is highly potent, with a sweet flavor.
- High doses may worsen anxiety and stress, leading to paranoia.
- May cause headaches, dizziness, and dehydration.
Heavy-Hitting Strain: God’s Gift
As the name implies, God’s gift is a heavy-hitting Indica strain that allows you to experience heaven on earth. This cross of Granddaddy Purple and OG Kush has a calming effect that validates the saying, “heaven is a state of mind.” With its high THC levels, results are seen almost instantly, even for individuals with a high tolerance for weed. Its impact is felt all over your body, making it easy for you to fall asleep.
Users tend to sleep long hours after using it, even in its edible form. It relieves stress and anxiety, helping you to relax and unwind after a long day. People who have insomnia, muscle spasms, chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, and arthritis would find God’s gift very helpful in relieving their symptoms.
The leaves of this Indica strain have a violet color, with streaks of green and gray. It has bright orange pistils that are seen all over the buds, giving it that distinctive appearance.
- It relieves all forms of pain, including arthritis, migraines, and backaches.
- Uplifts moods and emotions, making it ideal for people with bipolar disorders, depression, and PTSD.
- A small quantity can have a significant impact due to the high THC levels.
- It has some side effects like dehydration, paranoia, and dizziness.
- Its high THC content could lead to unpleasant experiences.
Key Considerations Before Using Any Cannabis Indica Strain
Legal: The use of marijuana or indica for sleep is considered a health risk and is illegal in various cities worldwide. Although medical marijuana is now legal in some cities in the U.S., individuals with a history of mental illness and substance abuse are advised to use it with caution. People who have insomnia should consult a doctor before taking remedial action because the misuse of marijuana can have long-term health consequences. It can cause REM-sleep deprivation when consumed in large quantities, thereby making it difficult for you to enjoy deep sleep. Research on the benefits of Cannabis Indica for medical purposes is still ongoing.
Type of sleep problem: Most Indica strains have tranquilizing properties that make them ideal for people with sleep problems. Although they help relieve stress and anxiety, their sedating effects ensure that users can actuate and maintain sleep for long hours. If your lack of sleep results from severe pain, depression, PTSD, anxiety disorder, or other health-related issues, a good Indica strain in the right amount will do the trick.
Side Effects: The side effects of marijuana are seen when consumed in large quantities, and withdrawal symptoms may appear after prolonged use. Its impact on users depends on the intake mode, whether you are eating or smoking the weed. The right dosage for edibles is quite confusing because the wrong amount may bring about adverse reactions that will make you sick for a long time. The most common side effects are cottonmouth and dry eyes, which are easy to manage. Stay hydrated by consuming lots of water while using marijuana to ensure that you do not develop a headache or become dizzy. Moisturizing eye drops that are available from your local pharmacy can help with dry eyes.
Length of usage: Sleeping aids are for temporal use to ensure you do not develop a dependence, which is detrimental. It could become easier to fall asleep with a good bedtime routine and not worry about sleep disruption. Prolonged use of marijuana is not recommended as it has been linked to reducing the gray matter volume in the brain. You should consult your doctor on the right dosage and duration of use.
The onset of action and Half-life: Most people prefer smoking weed when it comes to inducing sleep, as they kick in pretty quickly, like in about 20 minutes. The effect is short-lived and may wear off within a short time when taken in smaller quantities. Edibles may take effect after several hours, with a longer duration of action, which could be between 6-8 hours. Users may wake up feeling dehydrated and dizzy if the effects last longer than 8 hours. Using an Indica strain one hour before bedtime will enable it to work effectively, causing you to sleep as deeply as desired.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does marijuana really make you sleepy?
Marijuana contains certain compounds that relax your muscles and improves moods, making it easier for users to sleep comfortably. Although, when misused, you may experience grogginess in the morning, as well as headaches. The right strain and dose will ensure that you do not become too excited and lose sleep altogether. Indica is known to contain a significant amount of Cannabidiol (CBD), which effectively treats insomnia.
What’s the difference between CBD and CBN?
CBD and CBN (Cannabinol) are all components of the Indica strain that improve your ability to sleep deeply. While CBD improves your overall physical and mental wellbeing, it does not get you high like the CBN, which has psychoactive properties. With the right dosage, you can achieve the desired results for different health conditions.
Is Indica good for anxiety?
The energizing effect of Indica can help with anxiety. With improved moods and psychoactive CBN, users no longer have to worry about stress and anxiety. They get to maintain positive emotions with enhanced creativity and focus.
Inadequate sleep can make your life miserable, as you begin to feel sleepy during the day while performing poorly at work. It could have other health implications that reduce your quality of life, regardless of your age. The right strain in significant amounts could be the answer to your sleep problems. Take great care and consideration in just about anything you consume before going to bed late at night. However, keep in mind that indica flower can potentially have a tremendous impact on your sleep.