Do we not all love to snuggle up in a beautiful warm comfy blanket at night? Blankets are just what you need to keep you warm through cold nights, as you get to wrap yourself in them and enjoy the cozy feel. They are also lovely gifts anybody would love to receive. When these gift blankets are handmade, they become all the more special. This article, which includes a review of the five best handmade blankets, will guide you on making the right choice.
Top 5 homemade blankets: reviewed
Key Considerations When Buying Handmade Blankets
Fabric: Choosing the perfect blanket for you is primarily based on your preferences. If you need something to keep you warm through the freezing weather, you should go for one made with more robust materials. Lighter fabrics are better for slightly chilly weather. For children, a piece of light synthetic fabric is a better option, because it will be easier to take care of.
Color and design: Blankets come in many different colors and designs. Go for a product that suits your preference in terms of color and blend with the décor of your house, especially if they are throw-blankets. You can also get various designs depending on what catches your fancy, but note that some products may not satisfy your needs.
Durability: When getting any item, it is wise to get one that lasts for a long time. This factor should be considered when getting blankets, as some fabrics used in making them may shed and litter your bed with lint even when they are new. Although with most models, the shedding may stop after a few washes, some continue beyond that. Tightly woven synthetic fabric is a good option for those that want to avoid this problem.
You should also go for blankets that do not fade quickly, especially after the first few washes. Since the sun also contributes to fading, get colorfast models, if you live in a hot climate.
Price: There are a lot of beautiful blankets on the market that will suit your taste. These blankets fall within different price ranges. You should get something comfortable that does not exceed your budget. Synthetic fabrics are considerably less expensive than natural options, which feature unique components that determine the cost. For example, a cashmere blanket is more expensive than a down variant of the same size.
Maintenance: Some models are machine washable, and others require you to carefully hand wash them. Get one that you can maintain easily, preferably made of synthetic materials.
Size: Blankets come in different sizes. If you are going to lay your bed with it, make sure that you get the correct measurement of your mattress to ensure that it fits perfectly. Also, consider that since these products are handmade and crafted by different artisans, there may sometimes be a slight difference in the exact size of what you order. Another factor to consider is shrinkage. If the blanket is loosely knitted, it is advisable to opt for a few sizes above what you want.
Types of Blankets
There are different types of blankets out there. They are distinguishable based on their unique benefits and the material used in making them.
Classification according to use:
- Throws: These are small blankets that are used basically for decoration. They are placed on the bed or the sofa and are handy when you need additional warmth.
- Afghans: Just like throws, these blankets are small. They are usually crocheted or knitted and used as decorations.
- Comforters: These are large thick, fluffy blankets that are typically stuffed with synthetic fiber to keep users warm on freezing nights.
- Quilts: This blanket sewn together using three pieces of fiber that forms the layers, is suitable for a mild climate and can be used as bed coverings.
- Duvets: These are thick blankets that are just like comforters, filled with different types of materials such as cotton, down, and polyester.
According to the materials used
- Fleece blankets: Fleece blankets are one of the most prevalent models to be found in the market. They feature fleece fabric, gotten from polyester.
- Cotton blankets: These blankets are 100% cotton fabric, hypoallergenic, breathable, and skin-friendly, making them an excellent choice for sensitive skin. Since they are lightweight, they are suitable for warmer climes.
- Wool blankets: These blankets made with wool are usually woven or knitted to keep you warm. Although breathable, they also trap warm air and keep cold air out.
- Faux fur: This model is often furry, and can keep you cozy in freezing weather.
- Cashmere: Cashmere gotten from goats raised on the Asian plateaus is about the softest and warmest in the world. The blankets made using this product are usually very expensive, so you may have to be meticulous when you want to buy one online.
- Electric blankets: These are used with electricity to warm you, can be relatively affordable, and safe for use. They usually have a control that allows users to warm up the sheet.
How to make handmade blankets
The procedures for making homemade blankets are dependent on the type that you are interested in making. For instance, to make a tied fleece blanket, the following easy steps should be followed:
Step 1: Buy or pick two different or similar fabrics based on your preference.
Step 2: Place the two pieces of fleece together, preferably on their wrong sides or any side that appeals to you.
Step 3: Once both fabrics are on each other, ensure there are no overlaps by trimming off ends to make them the same size.
Step 4: Cut out a square of about three to five inches (depending on your choice) from each corner of your overlapping fabrics (that is, there must be a square on the four corners of it).This technique makes tying both materials together much more uncomplicated.
Step 5: Cut out slits (similar to a fringe) throughout the entire fabric. You can make the slits on both materials together to ensure the same length and numbers. Also, ensure the length of each slit is deep enough to allow smooth and robust knotting.
Step 6: Tie the matching top to bottom slits together in a firm knot throughout the fabric’s entire length. The knots should be strong enough to enable them to remain, even after washing.
Step 7: Ensure that every slit around the fabric is properly tied up, and you have your blanket ready.
Why Handmade Products are a Better Option
It is often advisable and preferable to opt for handmade products than the machine-made option, especially where blankets are involved. Homemade products, in general, support a tradition of skilled work, making them better than their machine counterparts.
The fact that handmade sheets, in particular, are better is tied to several substantial factors, one of which is their tendency to be unique to each creator. With these products, there is an opportunity for personalized, customized, and individualized inputs. It allows you to direct the final results according to your style or demands, adding to your blanket’s authenticity and uniqueness.
Another notable advantage is that handmade models demand critical attention to detail, resulting in a superior outcome compared to machine-produced options. Also, homemade blankets make adaptation to new trends or designs easier as you can quickly switch things up for a unique appearance. To sum it up, handmade models are generally “charming and sentimental,” which is why they seem cozier and irresistible.
Blankets not only keep you warm at night but are versatile, so you get to use them for various purposes, including outdoor activities. Making the right choice may not be difficult when you know what you want. Since most blankets are thick and heavy, it is paramount that you take extra care, so they do not get dirty quickly. Machine washable and synthetic products are suitable since they are easy to maintain. Quality blankets should be able to keep you warm, increase your sleep quality, make your furniture and interior décor stand out, and can be a gift for that special someone on their special day.